Our bike programs run on bike donations, but not all donations can be used. Please review the information below to see if your donation will be helpful to the program before dropping it off. Answers to some FAQs are below:
Are you accepting bike donations now?
Yes we are! Please see the “what we will accept” and “what we will not accept” sections below.
Do I need to call and set up an appointment or can I just bring my donation by Apex?
Do you pick up bikes?
Usually not. If you have many bikes to donate or if it is a particularly good bike that you cannot get to us, give us a call at 207-282-9700 and we will try to work something out.
What do you do with bike donations?
All of our bicycle related programs are dependent on donations. Every bike that goes out of our doors to local youth through our Earn-a-Bike or STEM programs was donated. Other bikes are refurbished by our Job Readiness program, Apex Bike Factory, to sell with any profit going back into our programs.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes, we are a 501c3 nonprofit and will offer you a donation receipt for your records.
Do you buy bikes?
We do not.
Can I buy a bike from Apex?
Yes! Drop by during ABF hours to get sized and check out what we have available. You can also visit the ABF store to browse our current stock (please note, we try to keep this fairly updated, but your best bet is coming in person!)
We Will Accept:
- Any bikes that are not in our “we will not accept section” (below) that are in good condition and can be fixed up.
- Usable parts from damaged bikes. (except from the bikes listed below that we cannot accept right now)
- Bike tools.
- Accessories that are in good working condition: lights, mirrors, bike racks and baskets, air pumps, panniers/frame bags, water bottle cages & bottles, locks with key, and wind trainers.
- Working bike trailers.
- NEW (tags on) bike helmets.
We can NOT accept:
- Rusty bikes that have been stored outside in the weather.
- Used bike helmets.
- Department store bikes. (Huffy, Magna, Next, Roadmaster, Kent, Hyper, etc., we just have so many of these right now)
- Stationary bikes.
- Well-used bike shoes or other clothing.